{"id":1975,"date":"2021-10-15T13:20:58","date_gmt":"2021-10-15T11:20:58","guid":{"rendered":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/?p=1975"},"modified":"2021-11-22T10:06:43","modified_gmt":"2021-11-22T09:06:43","slug":"taborkogel-st-martin-im-sulmtal","status":"publish","type":"post","link":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/taborkogel-st-martin-im-sulmtal\/","title":{"rendered":"Taborkogel Hill in St. Martin im Sulmtal"},"content":{"rendered":"<span class=\"su-lightbox\" data-mfp-src=\"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/wp-content\/uploads\/2021\/11\/tl-taborkogel-en.jpg\" data-mfp-type=\"image\" data-mobile=\"yes\"><img loading=\"lazy\" decoding=\"async\" class=\"aligncenter wp-image-1834 size-large\" src=\"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/wp-content\/uploads\/2021\/11\/tl-taborkogel-en-1024x397.jpg\" alt=\"\" width=\"1024\" height=\"397\" srcset=\"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/wp-content\/uploads\/2021\/11\/tl-taborkogel-en-1024x397.jpg 1024w, https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/wp-content\/uploads\/2021\/11\/tl-taborkogel-en-600x232.jpg 600w, https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/wp-content\/uploads\/2021\/11\/tl-taborkogel-en-768x298.jpg 768w, https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/wp-content\/uploads\/2021\/11\/tl-taborkogel-en-1536x595.jpg 1536w, https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/wp-content\/uploads\/2021\/11\/tl-taborkogel-en-1240x480.jpg 1240w, https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/wp-content\/uploads\/2021\/11\/tl-taborkogel-en.jpg 1861w\" sizes=\"auto, (max-width: 1024px) 100vw, 1024px\" \/><\/span>\n<h5>In the cadastral commune of Aigen, the so-called Taborkogel hill (379 m above sea level) rises about 40 m above the north-facing valley floor of the Black Sulm river. The fortification on this hill is separated from the adjacent Riedelzug ridge to the north by a deep depression and was the subject of archaeological excavations by the former Landesmuseum Joanneum in the summer of 1994. Since the 14th century small, only modestly fortified manor houses, mostly built of earth and wood, have been called \u201cTabor\u201d.<\/h5>\n<p>At each of the four corners of the delta-shaped fortification of about 75 by 65 m there is a semicircular flanking structure. The edge of the fortification is accompanied by a low rampart with a 2- to 3-meter-wide v-shaped ditch in front of it. According to the excavator Diether Kramer, there was a quite massive \u201cfence\u201d on the rampart.<br \/>\nThe excavation focused on the castle core, which was explored with four sections. Here, the remains of a wooden building with a stone foundation could be detected, which, as evidenced by the leaf and niche tiles found, had a stately tiled stove &#8211; a fine example of the owner\u2019s well-to-do, knightly way of living. The outer walls were probably made of wooden beams, but a half-timbered building cannot be completely ruled out. Before the building was erected, the site had been carefully leveled. Immediately next to the building there was a cistern.<\/p>\n<p>Besides remains of pots with a capacity of 2 to 5 liters, jugs, cups, bowls, plates and lamps made of pottery, there are also some hollow glass finds from Taborkogel hill. Riding utensils &#8211; horseshoes, a stirrup fragment and a wheel spur as a sign of the owner\u2019s exalted position &#8211; as well as various tools &#8211; axes, knives, a pair of scissors, furniture fittings and Gothic padlocks for furniture &#8211; complete the spectrum of finds. Bolt irons from crossbows found in the area of the burned building indicate the warlike destruction of the complex.<\/p>\n<div class=\"su-expand su-expand-collapsed su-expand-link-style-default\" data-height=\"135\"><div class=\"su-expand-content su-u-trim\" style=\"color:#333333;max-height:135px;overflow:hidden\">A circular earthwork (forework) about 25 m northwest below the castle core with a diameter of 20 to 23 m was not archaeologically investigated in 1994. It has been formed out of the in-situ terrain and is surrounded by a ditch about 3 m wide.<br \/>\nDespite its highly interesting structural features and extensive find material, the 1994 excavation has not been scientifically processed to date. This makes it difficult to classify the manor house\u2019s precise chronology and to exactly interpret its purpose. Two theories about the Taborkogel hill seem plausible from today\u2019s point of view:<\/p>\n<p>Kramer assumes that in the 14th century the small fortress was owned by the Peuerl family and belonged to the Schwanberg domain, which the Bishopric of Brixen had lent to the Lords of Pettau. He interprets the manor as a small, late medieval center of agricultural production with high social prestige, which fell victim to a dispute already at the beginning of the 15th century, either in the course of the quarrels between the Lords of Pettau and the dominion of Landsberg, which belonged to the Archbishopric of Salzburg, or in the context of the Walsee feud (1411-1417).<\/p>\n<p>The Hungarian archaeologist G\u00e1bor Andr\u00e1s Sz\u00f6r\u00e9nyi, who carried out geophysical investigations on Taborkogel hill in 2015, on the other hand, assumes that the fortification was only built in the late 15th century, during the so-called Hungarian Wars (1479-1490) between Emperor Frederick III and the Hungarian King Matthias Corvinus. Landsberg Castle was also under Hungarian occupation at that time. Sz\u00f6r\u00e9nyi uses the characteristic shape of the fortress, built of wood and earth, as an indication. With its flanking works, which limited the free space in front of the castle and enabled effective bombardment by artillery, it calls to mind the fortifications of the Hussites, who exercised military and political power in northern Hungary in the middle of the 15th century and were defeated by Matthias Corvinus at the beginning of his reign. The Hungarian king took a large number of Hussite veterans into his mercenary army, known as the \u201cBlack Army,\u201d which fought in the Austrian campaigns. However, Frederick III also resorted to such mercenary units. Be that as it may, Sz\u00f6r\u00e9nyi assumes that the fortification at Taborkogel hill was the result of a technological innovation of a multinational mercenary army, whose core consisted of Hussite veterans.<\/p>\n<p>Unfortunately, the fortification, which is a protected monument, has been severely damaged in recent decades by illegal search and excavation activities.<\/p>\n<\/div><div class=\"su-expand-link su-expand-link-more\" style=\"text-align:left\"><a href=\"javascript:;\" style=\"color:#0088FF;border-color:#0088FF\"><i class=\"sui sui-arrow-circle-right\" style=\"\" aria-label=\"\"><\/i><span style=\"border-color:#0088FF\">Show more<\/span><\/a><\/div><div class=\"su-expand-link su-expand-link-less\" style=\"text-align:left\"><a href=\"javascript:;\" style=\"color:#0088FF;border-color:#0088FF\"><span style=\"border-color:#0088FF\">Show less<\/span><\/a><\/div><\/div>\n<p><em><strong>Text:<\/strong> Mag. Dr. Christoph Gutjahr (unter Einbezug einschl\u00e4giger Berichte von Dr. Diether Kramer [\u2020] und Dr. G\u00e1bor Andr\u00e1s Sz\u00f6r\u00e9nyi)<\/em><\/p>\n","protected":false},"excerpt":{"rendered":"<p>In the cadastral commune of Aigen, the so-called Taborkogel hill (379 m above sea level) rises about 40 m above the north-facing valley floor of the Black Sulm river. The fortification on this hill is&#8230;<\/p>\n","protected":false},"author":3,"featured_media":1807,"comment_status":"closed","ping_status":"closed","sticky":false,"template":"single-fullwidth.php","format":"gallery","meta":{"footnotes":""},"categories":[33],"tags":[],"class_list":["post-1975","post","type-post","status-publish","format-gallery","has-post-thumbnail","hentry","category-castle","post_format-post-format-gallery"],"_links":{"self":[{"href":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1975","targetHints":{"allow":["GET"]}}],"collection":[{"href":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts"}],"about":[{"href":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/types\/post"}],"author":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/users\/3"}],"replies":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/comments?post=1975"}],"version-history":[{"count":3,"href":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1975\/revisions"}],"predecessor-version":[{"id":2183,"href":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/posts\/1975\/revisions\/2183"}],"wp:featuredmedia":[{"embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media\/1807"}],"wp:attachment":[{"href":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/media?parent=1975"}],"wp:term":[{"taxonomy":"category","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/categories?post=1975"},{"taxonomy":"post_tag","embeddable":true,"href":"https:\/\/archaeoregion.at\/en\/wp-json\/wp\/v2\/tags?post=1975"}],"curies":[{"name":"wp","href":"https:\/\/api.w.org\/{rel}","templated":true}]}}